Monday, January 30, 2012

Glad the neighbors weren't up early this morning.

Glad the neighbors weren't up early this morning. I went out to the car. It was covered with snow. So, as per normal, I went to start it while I brushed the snow off. Rather than fully get in the car, I step partially in, put my foot on the clutch, and turn the key in the ignition. Normally this work flawlessly, but normally Sara hasn't used the car the night before. She likes to leave the car in gear. So as soon as I lifted my foot off the clutch to step back out, the car began lurching forwards, fighting the parking brake, heading straight for our fence. I couldn't see because the windshield was covered with snow and I'm hanging halfway out of the car madly trying to find the clutch again. I thankfully managed to stop the car in time. We'll see how today goes.

4 comments:

Theresa Wiegert said...

Yikes! Well, in any place but possibly winnipeg, it's pretty standard to leave the car in gear (and always for our golf, since the parking break has a tendency to get stuck... so we don't use it much).

Jonathan Epp said...

Yes, Sara learned to drive in a non-flat place. It is the proper way to do it.

Mark Reierson said...

Unless you have a car starter then you need to leave it outta gear. It is entertaining to hear about stick driving idiosyncrasies.

Jonathan Epp said...

Mark Reierson, you meant to say out of gear, only if you have a car starter, right? I thought Sara was in the right, and I was doing a flat-lander thing.